The image provided by MathWorks is based on Raspbian Jessie Lite. This is a lite version of the Raspbian Jessie image. One of the differences with this image is that it is headless and does not have a Desktop GUI.
If you require a Desktop for your Raspberry Pi, you will have to install a few packages. Follow the instructions below to set up the Desktop:
1. Set up your Raspberry Pi with the Raspbian image provided by MathWorks.
2. Install the following packages to get the GUI interface:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xinit
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends raspberrypi-ui-mods lxterminal gvfs
3. Connect the HDMI monitor cable, USB camera and keyboard to Raspberry Pi and then reboot the Pi.
4. A login prompt will appear on the monitor (normal black screen – without GUI). Enter the credentials “pi” & “raspberry”
5. Enter “startx” to the prompt using the keyboard and this will show the GUI interface on the monitor.