Flow Accumulation (upslope area)
Updated 10 Feb 2015
*** Note that this file is outdated. Please find TopoToolbox, a Matlab suite of functions for topographic analysis at
https://topotoolbox.wordpress.com/ . wflowacc will be removed from the File Exchange in the future. ****
How much water flows where? Use this algorithm to calculate the upslope area of each cell in a digital elevation model.
- multiple flow direction
- single flow direction
- routes across flats
- calculates deterministic, randomized and random flow
- allows you to specify a weighting exponent that governs the relation flow direction - slope
- handles edge effects
Wolfgang Schwanghart (2023). Flow Accumulation (upslope area) (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/14504-flow-accumulation-upslope-area), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
- Sciences > Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences > Oceanography and Hydrology >
- Sciences > Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences > Geology >
- Sciences > Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences > Glaciology >
Inspired: How to estimate subglacial water routes, Strahler Stream Order
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.
update of the description
an option was added to control flow behavior at grid edges
included single flowdirection and the exponent for flow direction weighting to address the problems encountered by Liam.