Matlab 2048

Matlab implementation of the addictive game 2048


Updated 25 Mar 2014

View License

This game, recently invented (March 2014) by Gabriele Cirulli, is gaining popularity due to both its simplicity and complexity!
The only goal is to create a tile containing the number 2048. You do this by sliding the numbered tiles around (using the arrow-keys). When two identical numbers meet, they merge by adding up. This allows you to generate powers of 2, but it will get exponentially harder as you get further along!
For more information on the game, I refer to the Wikipedia entry at
This implementation, I must admit, is poorly documented, because it was just an afternoon project. I think however that the code is pretty much self-documenting. If not, you are free to ask anything!

Have fun and post your high-scores for some nice competition! :-D

To play:
- download and extract the submission
- run >> start2048


Cite As

Joren Heit (2023). Matlab 2048 (, MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .

MATLAB Release Compatibility
Created with R2012a
Compatible with any release
Platform Compatibility
Windows macOS Linux
Find more on Signal Processing in Help Center and MATLAB Answers
Tags Add Tags

Community Treasure Hunt

Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!

Start Hunting!
Version Published Release Notes

* Updated the description (sorry I forgot!), no need to download the linspecer package anymore.

* Removed 'linspecer' dependency by hardcoding the colormap. Still, kudo's to the author!
* 4's will now spawn with 10% probability (2's with the remaining 90%)