This package contains course materials for an introductory analog and digital communications systems course taught to undergraduate electrical and computer engineering students. An integral part of the course design is a series of laboratory modules through which students explore course topics using low-cost SDR hardware (e.g., RTL-SDR or ADALM-PLUTO) and MATLAB/Simulink software tools. Using these laboratory exercises, students implement various communication systems and investigate real-world communication signals.
The download package includes complete Laboratory documentation, as well as additional Simulink models and MATLAB scripts for use in lecture sessions.
Topic 1: Introduction to Communication Systems
- Introduction to Software-Defined Radio
- RTL-SDR and ADALM-PLUTO Installations
- Spectrum Analyzer using SDR
Topic 2: Amplitude Modulation
- Observing Amplitude Modulated Waveforms using SDR
- QAM Transceiver Simulation
- DSB Large Carrier Receiver using SDR
- DSB Large Carrier Transmitter using SDR
Topic 3: Frequency Modulation
- Investigating Broadcast FM Radio Signals using SDR
- Passband FM Modulator Simulation
- Baseband FM Communication System Simulation
- Observing and Demodulation FM Waveforms using SDR
- Automatic Picture Transmission (APT) Receiver using SDR
Topic 4: Digital Communication
- Observing Digital Carrier Modulated Waveforms using SDR
- Bit Error Rate Simulation
- BSPK Receiver: Carrier Synchronization and Symbol Timing Recovery using SDR
- DBPSK Communication using SDR
Topic 5: Spread Spectrum Communications
- DSSS Simulation
- Code Division Multiplexing Simulation
- DSSS BPSK Communication using SDR
Topic 6: Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing
- Multicarrier Communications Simulation
- FFT Processing for OFDM Modulation and Demodulation
- IEEE 802.11a WiFi Waveforms
Cory Prust (2020). Introductory Communication Systems Course Using SDR (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/69417-introductory-communication-systems-course-using-sdr), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
formatting "Other Requirements"
added support packages under "Other Requirements"