Introductory Communication Systems Course Using SDR
Updated 30 Apr 2020
This package contains course materials for an introductory analog and digital communications systems course taught to undergraduate electrical and computer engineering students. An integral part of the course design is a series of laboratory modules through which students explore course topics using low-cost SDR hardware (e.g., RTL-SDR or ADALM-PLUTO) and MATLAB/Simulink software tools. Using these laboratory exercises, students implement various communication systems and investigate real-world communication signals.
The download package includes complete Laboratory documentation, as well as additional Simulink models and MATLAB scripts for use in lecture sessions.
Topic 1: Introduction to Communication Systems
- Introduction to Software-Defined Radio
- RTL-SDR and ADALM-PLUTO Installations
- Spectrum Analyzer using SDR
Topic 2: Amplitude Modulation
- Observing Amplitude Modulated Waveforms using SDR
- QAM Transceiver Simulation
- DSB Large Carrier Receiver using SDR
- DSB Large Carrier Transmitter using SDR
Topic 3: Frequency Modulation
- Investigating Broadcast FM Radio Signals using SDR
- Passband FM Modulator Simulation
- Baseband FM Communication System Simulation
- Observing and Demodulation FM Waveforms using SDR
- Automatic Picture Transmission (APT) Receiver using SDR
Topic 4: Digital Communication
- Observing Digital Carrier Modulated Waveforms using SDR
- Bit Error Rate Simulation
- BSPK Receiver: Carrier Synchronization and Symbol Timing Recovery using SDR
- DBPSK Communication using SDR
Topic 5: Spread Spectrum Communications
- DSSS Simulation
- Code Division Multiplexing Simulation
- DSSS BPSK Communication using SDR
Topic 6: Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing
- Multicarrier Communications Simulation
- FFT Processing for OFDM Modulation and Demodulation
- IEEE 802.11a WiFi Waveforms
Cory Prust (2023). Introductory Communication Systems Course Using SDR (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/69417-introductory-communication-systems-course-using-sdr), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.